Being an agricultural country Bangladesh has a tremendous opportunity to be compatible by manufacturing agro-textile. As we know that about 60 percent of the population of our directly or indirectly depends on agriculture for their livelihoods, so it’s high time to grab the opportunity.
Agro-textile is a significant and emerging sector among all the twelve sectors of technical textiles. It covers all the textile products from horticulture applications to fishing and animal husbandry applications. The importance of Agro-textile is wide. It protects crops from climatic effects and yield production helps to increase plant height, reduces the requirement of pesticides and fertilizers. Agro-textiles prevent the soil from drying and also improve product quality.
Bangladesh is lagging in using textiles in agriculture. Most of the farmers are not familiar with the importance of using agro-textiles. To overcome the increased demand for food for increasing numbers of people, the country to increase food production. For meeting this demand, farmers are using more fertilizers and pesticides. But fertilizers and pesticides have a hazardous effect on health. From this perspective, agro-textile can play an important role in Bangladesh.
Classification of Agro-tech: Depending on use, agro-textile can be classified as:
- Agro-textile products for crop production and packing
- Agro-textile products for horticulture and floriculture
- Agro-textile products for forestry
- Agro-textile products for animal husbandry
- Agro-textile products for fishing and aquaculture
There are numerous agro-textile products used in various agricultural sectors. They are shown in the table.
cold and frost
|Sunscreen, Root ball net||Soil protection fabric||Tape net, Mats for animals||Anti-fouling
|Non-woven||Mulch mat||Mulch mat, mixed bed for mushroom||Weed control fabric||Underlay for reducing mud, Filter for milking||Anti-fouling nets|
|Knitted||Plant net, Bird
|Fishing nets, Aquaculture nets, Anti fouling-nets.|
|Plastic Sheets||Ground cover,
|Braided & Twisted||Baler twine,
What are the properties needed to be an ideal agro-textile product?
The key functional properties of agro-textile products are as follows:
- Weather resistance
- Resistance to micro-organisms
- Light Weight
- Resistant to solar radiation
- Resistant to ultraviolet radiation
- Long service life
- Water conservation
- Stable construction
- Tensile strength
- Abrasion resistance
- Protection properties
Which type of raw materials are perfect for agro-textile products?
The most significant requirements of textiles for agricultural applications are weather resistant and resistant to micro-organisms. Therefore, synthetic fibers are the best choice of material for designing agro-textile products. Among all these fibers the polypropylene and polyethylene are extensively used. Whereas among the natural fibers only jute is used, as it serves not only the functional purposes but also has biodegradability and acts as a natural fertilizer at that point.
Which type of fiber used in manufacturing agro-textile?
|Cotton||Cotton Polypropylene||Hemp, Coir|
|Wool, Sisal Fiber||Polyethylene mono filament & multi filament||Polyester|
|Cotton-polyester blend||Nylon monofilament & multi filament||HMPE|
Some application of agro-textile:
- Mulch mat: It is used for reducing the growth of weed by covering the soil, blocking the
- Fishing nets: Fishing nets are knitted fabrics. They are used for fishing.
- Windshield: Windshield protects crops, small trees and plants from strong winds. Healthy trees can be seen if they are protected from strong winds.
- Packing Material: These nets are used for packing various farm products. It may be packing sacks or tubular packing nets.
- Bird protection net: It protects seeds, crops and fruit from damage, caused by birds and other pests. But the mesh size is big enough to allow the movement of bees.
- Mosquito protection nets: It protects cattle from mosquito and harmful insects.
- Harvesting nets: Fruits, which are susceptible to mold infections, darkened kernels, insect and bug invasion due to laying on the ground, can be protected by this net. This net makes harvesting easier, cleaner, and sustainable. It also reduces the time for fruit collecting.
- Porous tube for localized irrigation: Porous tube connects the whole field with watering pipe. It controls uniform watering throughout the field and garden.
- Support nets: These nets support climbing vines and vertical growing plants and also facilitate flower growing. It supports large fruit to hold in plants.
- Insect meshes: This mesh keeps pollinating insects inside the mesh. They retain harmful insects from entering greenhouses and tunnels. This fine woven screen gives protection from insects without using any insecticides.
What are the benefits of using agro-textile?
Nowadays Textile products are manipulating a relatively significant part of agriculture from climatic circumstances and production conditions.
Agricultural textiles are using for their outstanding environmental resistance, mechanical properties, simple techniques, environmental durability characteristics, can improve the quantity and quality and safety of agricultural products, agriculture, resource security, agro-ecological environmental security, the market competitiveness of products play a significant role, as well as the textile industry to accomplish structure natural adjustment of the Special priority to the development of products.
Agro-textiles prevent the soil from drying out by boosting the crop yield and improving the product, quality. Such textiles protect the farmer from harmful pesticides. Agro textile products like shade netting and thermal screens enable saving of 40% on energy used for heating greenhouses.
Farmers have also found that the use of agro-textiles generates development in the quality of fruit, uniformity of color and, prevent staining. As we are not using pesticides and herbicides, so in the entire process there will be inconsequential pollution.
As a consequence, we can say that agro textile exploiting a vital role to assist the atmosphere with crop production, eliminate variations in climate, weather transformation, and generate optimal conditions for plant improvement. Thus, the demand for textile goods in the field of agriculture has been pointed up and playing their role to diminish the usage of poisonous pesticides, and herbicides to render a healthy farming culture underlined.
Therefore Bangladesh should also enhance the acquaintance of the farmers with agro-textiles for the elevation of the agricultural sector and bring out the development in its use as well adequately be the strength of the agricultural area. So, now it is our turn, to carefully and beautifully shape this infant technology, to contribute to the nation’s economy.