The election board of the Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) officially declared Faruque Hassan as the president of the leading RMG body.
The election board also confirmed the name of other bearers. They are:
- Syed Nazrul Islam, First Vice President, BGMEA & Managing Director, Well Designers Ltd.
- S. M. Mannan (Kochi), Senior Vice President, BGMEA & Managing Director, Seha Design (BD) Ltd.
- Md. Shahidullah Azim, Vice President, BGMEA & Managing Director, Classic Fashion Concept Ltd.
- Khandoker Rafiqul Islam, Vice President (Finance), BGMEA & Managing Director, Designtex Knitwear Ltd.
- Miran Ali, Vice President, BGMEA & Director, Misami Garments Ltd.
- Md. Nasir Uddin, Vice President, BGMEA & Managing Director, Sadma Fashion Wear Ltd.
- Rakibul Alam Chowdhury, Vice President, BGMEA & Managing Director, HKC Apparels Ltd.
The fresh committee officially took charge today, said Shaidullah Azim, who was elected as vice president in the new committee.
Hassan’s panel Sammilita Parishad took 24 out of 35 posts, while the opposition panel, Forum, got 11 posts.
A total of 1,996 BGMEA member voters – 1,604 from Dhaka and 392 from Chattogram — out of 2,314, cast their votes to elect the board of directors of the BGMEA.
BGMEA that started with only 12 members in the early 1980s presently has around 4,500 members and is being run by a 35-member elected board of directors.