Recently Bangladesh Garments Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) and Unilever Bangladesh have signed an MoU to improve the lives of 1 million RMG workers.
According to the MoU, BGMEA and Unilever have agreed to work collaboratively on a few projects that ensure the sustainability of the industry by improving the livelihoods of the laborers in three ways:
- Health, hygiene and sanitation
- Use of recycled plastics (HDPE pellets or high-density polythene) in the RMG industry, especially as raw material for accessories and packaging
- Fair price shop ‘Aastha’ for improving real income and standard of living
The projects will focus on pursuing the following SDGs:
- GOAL 3: good health and well-being
- GOAL 5: gender equality
- GOAL 6: clean water and sanitation
- GOAL 12: responsible consumption and production
- GOAL 17: partnerships to achieve the goal
Md. Najibur Rahman, Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister was the Chief Guest at the ceremony. While Dr. Rubana Huq, President, BGMEA and Nitin Paranjpe, Unilever’s global COO were also present.
The RMG manufacturers’ association and the global FMCG manufacturer also agreed to work together in attaining the Sustainable Development Goals in Bangladesh. This partnership confirms the private sector’s commitment to attaining SDGs in the garment industry.