APR’s approach to optimize efficiencies and reduce our environmental footprint is supported by our sister company April’s efforts to reduce its emissions and implement biodiversity initiatives. Our APR2030 sustainability agenda outlines time bound science-based solutions to achieve our goals.
Understanding our carbon footprint
As part of our APR2030 strategy, we have committed to having product carbon intensity reduction by 2030 based on a life cycle approach (LCA) using 2019 as our baseline. Ours is not just an APR gate-to-gate commitment but a cradle-to-gate approach incorporating upstream our value chain. Our operations have already adopted energy efficiency, importance of incorporation of renewable energy sources, reuse and recycling in our production processes and sustainable sourcing. Given the state-of-the-art practices, processes and technologies already embedded in our business, the challenge is identifying ways to reduce APR’s emissions against current baselines. We will undertake LCA studies periodically to track our progress.
- 100% renewable energy
Since commencing operations, we have strived to optimize our energy processes and reduce our energy intensity, which was 6% lower in 2021 than in our first year of operation. APR has used 100% renewable energy to power VSF production since 2020. We purchase this energy from PT Riau Prima Energi (RPE), which operates multi-fuel and chemical recovery boilers that can supply more than 100% of our energy needs. We calculate our total energy needs using a mass balance approach based on the energy required to produce one ton of VSF.
- Sustainable sourcing
To produce VSF, we source our raw material – dissolving wood pulp (DWP) – from five key suppliers: four direct suppliers and one trader. In 2021, we sourced a total of 233,456 tons of dissolving wood pulp to produce our viscose staple fibre, 93% of which was sourced locally from our sister company APRIL. The remaining 7% originated in Canada, the United States and Europe.
Buying from sustainable sources is critical to upholding our sustainable viscose brand. In 2021, we exclusively sourced from Program for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC™) certified sources. All suppliers comply with our sustainability policy and Code of Procurement Ethics (COPE) commitments and submit to risk assessments and due diligence against these requirements. If we identify non-compliance, we work with suppliers to address and rectify any issues through clear, time-bound corrective action plans to bring them into compliance.
- Support for biodiversity protection
While we do not operate in the vicinity of any protected areas, APR is committed to supporting our suppliers in restoring natural landscapes as part of our decade-long strategy. Through collaboration, we can reduce our carbon footprint and positively impact climate and nature.
Follow our Fibre APR’s bespoke traceability platform, followourfibre.com, lets APR’s customers and ultimately consumers to trace fibre back to where it was grown. The full transparency of its supply chain is visible on the app on the company’s website. These initiatives are all part of APR’s commitment to becoming a leading and responsible viscose staple fibre producer and providing value to our customers.