Bangladesh’s RMG industry, the catalyst for the country’s economy, is dragged down and added unnecessary complexities by buyers for the need implementation of supportability issues within the production lines.
Natural maintainability is the foremost critical and developing issue at the show stage of industrialization, which is considered a burning issue. In this respect, these days apparel buyers are centering on the eco-friendly way of production. Bangladesh RMG industry must embrace cleaner and progressed innovation and administration for a way better environment in arrange to realize its objectives. Considering the buyers’ requests and prerequisites, industry proprietors have set the need to execute the rules from the world eminent organizations for an eco-friendly generation.
The objectives of economical advancements are cleaner water and sanitation, reasonable and clean vitality, industry development foundation, climate activity, and mindful utilization and generation. Natural maintainability comprises vitality utilization, water utilization, chemical capacity, and dealing.
To overcome the challenges with nominal resources, Denimach Washing Ltd. is minimizing the environmental impact by using eco-friendly machinery with low resource consumption characteristics.
“We are working with all top-notch buyers like Levi’s, GAP, Inditex, NEXT, Hollister, H&M and all buyers are now stressing environmental sustainability. We are also aligned with our buyer requirements and have installed all the latest technologies and following proper guidelines,” said Yamin Chowdhury, General Manager (Production), Denimach Washing Ltd.
In terms of environmental sustainability – Denimach Washing is focusing on reducing energy, water, chemicals and less manpower.
Amid the scarcity of fresh water – textile and garments processing sector uses a huge amount of groundwater. Denimach Washing, in its bid to minimize water consumption uses low liquor ratio front loading washing machines most effectively. Below are the water-saving footprints taken by the factory-
- Using Brongo washing machine of 1:3 liquor ratio which is possible for its short distance between the inner and outer drum. It is possible to lower the liquor ratio to 1:2 using the nano-bubble nebulization system known as B-Cloud technology.
- They also installed four waterless Jeanologia new e-Flow technology (Nano-bubble technology) machines.
- Process optimization in desizing, enzyme wash, and bleaching process.
- Process optimization by spraying softener.
- Process optimization by reducing rewash percentage from 10-20% controlling and using proper process.
- Upgradation of ETP with membrane bioreactor (MBR Technology).
- Reusing water in different process to reduce the use of groundwater. Currently, they are reusing more than 25% water in the process.
- Using ozone machine which is the waterless process also.
- A bigger-scale rainwater harvesting project is in progress.
Using the right chemical is essential for maintaining an eco-friendly environment and it is a must when it comes in using in garments. Denimach Washing ensures that all of its chemicals are green and sustainably made.
- Using the positive list of chemicals given by brands, ZDHC conformance, screen chemistry & chemical information log.
- Ensuring MRSL according to SOP, brand’s guidelines, and ensuring RSL by 3rd party tests.
- Using multifunctional chemicals to reduce the number of process baths eventually reduce water use.
Denimach Washing is also actively working for energy sustainability. They have taken many initiatives to be energy efficient.
- Minimize the use of diesel generators by purchasing electricity from BREB.
- Auto blow down control system in the boiler.
- Installed VFD for Air Compressor.
- Machine up-gradation to reduce energy and water consumption. 67% of belly machines have been upgraded with automation.
- Planning to install Solar PV to reduce natural gas consumption.
Those who are working in the factories, their health, safety and security should be the first priority because man is behind the machine indeed. Denimach Washing also cares for its workforce and gives proper facilities to them.
- Using laser machine from Masca id and Jeanologia to reduce risk, increase productivity, and use workforce at optimum level.
- An eye test by vision spring with a provided eyeglass.
- Family planning services from the factory
- Blood group with HBAgs test
- Implementing GEAR program
- Running Iron tablets family planning support
- Continuing HER, Mothers work program
- Developing WWB internal structure
It is not just in practice; the factory brings in data and reports. They are using Environment Impact Measuring (EIM) software to get a comprehensive report of sustainability which they also share with the buyers.
“We factories are always giving effort, maintaining buyers’ guidelines, using best technologies but in most of the cases, buyers do not agree to compensate the additional costs which threatening factories economical sustainability,” Yamin Chowdhury concluded.