Textile News, Apparel News, RMG News, Fashion Trends
Fashion & Retail Sustainability

Fabscrap endeavors to end commercial textile ‘waste’

Fabscrap shop diverted 97% of all incoming textile material from landfill

Textile waste is piling up at catastrophic levels due to the fast-fashion industry. New York City alone, residents throw out 200,000 tons of clothing, shoes, accessories, and linens every year. Textiles waste comprise 6% of the City’s total waste stream.

FABSCRAP reusing textile waste

‘The Fashion Industry has a textile waste problem… Fabscrap is the solution’ with this theme Fabscrap warehouse and shop opened its doors in New York City recently. To maximize the value of unused fabric, Fabscrap is a convenient and transparent service.

The thrift shop was created to meet New York City’s commercial textile recycling needs. Materials that traditionally would have gone to the landfill are now being properly recycled and made available for reuse.

Fabscrap is able to reuse 60% of the incoming material, the remaining 40% is recycled. In 2018, 1,804 volunteers, mostly fashion students, put in almost 10,000 hours to sort through the textile waste.

We believe our growth epitomizes the growing influence of a larger movement. More brands are interested in and taking steps towards sustainability, more people are aware of their power and impact as shoppers, as makers, and as advocates.

Jessica Schreiber, Founder and CEO of Fabscrap

Camille Tagle, Fabscrap’s Director of Reuse Partnerships, says, “We are not just selling fabric. We want to educate people about the textile waste situation. If you are just entering the industry, how can you rethink the processes?”

By Involving fashion students as volunteers in its operations and donating fabric to them, Fabscrap sees itself as not just a recycler but an influencer serving as a conduit between big brands and emergency designers.

“The student seeing the waste are asking questions of companies they are going to and thinking innovatively about the supply chain,” says Jessica Schreiber, Founder and CEO of Fabscrap.

Of the incoming materials, 45% goes to nonprofit sold or donation. Another 34% is downcycled’ into shredded fiber pulp for carpet insulation and mattress or blanket stuffing. The remaining material is recyclable paper.

Overall, only 3% of the collected scrap goes to landfill, because it contained material like spandex that Fabscrap isn’t able to shred and recycle.

For companies, it provides reusable Fabscrap bags in two colors: black, for proprietary materials and brown, for everything else. Afterward, Fabscrap picks up and gives replacement bags for uninterrupted recycling.

FABSCRAP now provides recycling and reuse service to 255 brands in the fashion, interior, and entertainment industries.

“We believe our growth epitomizes the growing influence of a larger movement. More brands are interested in and taking steps towards sustainability, more people are aware of their power and impact as shoppers, as makers, and as advocates,” said Jessica Schreiber.

Related posts

Rockay: Making running socks from ocean plastic waste

Textile Today

Uniqlo starts to recycle plastic bottles for clothing

Textile Today

Asda’s fashion wing George to use only recycled polyester

Textile Today

Latest Publications

View All