Having a planning department is crucial now as many brands or retailers provide orders of various items of products from small to large scale quantities, which must be executed properly to deliver the products on time. The global economy is now controlled by the transfer of production where firms in developed countries swing their attention to developing countries. As Bangladesh is playing a role as an LDC country and has low wages for workers compared to others, so many foreign brands come to replace their orders to have benefited by reducing costs.
Recently BGMEA President Faruque Hasan told in a statement that the share of Bangladesh in the global apparel market would exceed 10 percent by 2025 from the existing 6.3 percent as manufacturers have been increasing their investment in the process up-gradation and synthetic fiber. So, now we have to prove our capacity by improving the manufacturer’s ability and meeting buyers’ expectations like on-time delivery performance, reducing lead time and costs.
According to this view, to increase the manufacturers’ ability, the management of the production team has to work for ensuring the right time quality performance. To increase the growth of the industry, planning has a crucial role to lead the whole operational and marketing activities.
The planning department is responsible for the distribution of garment production and the planning of work to the buyer’s prediction of completion of a certain amount of work. Depending on the accuracy of this section, the business will be profitable and cost-effective.
After assigning a certain amount of work to a foreign buyer, the IE and Planning Department has the responsibility to distribute the line properly and complete the work according to the time and action.
This department keeps track of which orders can be taken later according to the capacity of the work from a particular buyer. And to calculate this capacity, IE’s people stay on the floor are required to provide information about the target according to the people in the line for this plan.
To be more cost-effective and make the efficient value of the industry, the other departments should co-ordinate the planning department with giving the right information properly.
Problems with insufficient information arise after factories conduct weekly production meetings and the complete, correct information isn’t passed onto the production team. The production team continues with bulk production without approval due to delivery schedule pressure, which results in defects and other quality issues.
To solve this problem, ensure that an open line of communication and transparency occurs between you, your suppliers, manufacturers, and workers at all times. With the help of telecommunications, ensure that your suppliers and manufacturers have all the necessary documents regarding your product specifications, PPS, delivery dates, etc. at their disposal and be sure to visit the factory regularly.
All other activities are initiated from the production plan and each area is dependent on the interaction of the activities. Typically, a plan addresses materials, equipment, human resources, training, capacity and the routing or methods to complete the work in a standard time. In order to do a good sales forecast, you should base it on a history of firm orders. The production plan initially needs to address specific key elements well in advance of production in order to ensure an uninterrupted flow of work as it unfolds.
Here are some advantages of an effective production plan and schedule:
- Reduced labor costs by eliminating wasted time and improving process flow.
- Reduced inventory costs by decreasing the need for safety stocks and excessive work-in-process inventories.
- Optimized equipment usage and increased capacity.
- Improved on-time deliveries of products and services.
- Material ordering-Materials and services that require a long lead time or are at an extended shipping distance, also known as blanket orders, should be ordered in advance of production requirements. Suppliers should send you materials periodically to ensure an uninterrupted pipeline.
- Equipment procurement-Procuring specialized tools and equipment to initiate the production process may require a longer lead time. Keep in mind that the equipment may have to be custom-made or simply difficult to set up. This type of equipment may also require special training.
- Bottlenecks-These are constraints or restrictions in the process flow and should be assessed in advance so you can plan around them or eliminate them before you begin production. When you assess possible bottlenecks, be aware that they may shift to another area of the process. Dealing with bottlenecks is a continual challenge for any business.
- Human resources acquisitions and training-Key or specialized positions may demand extensive training on specialized equipment, technical processes or regulatory requirements.
These employees should be interviewed thoroughly about their skills. When hiring them, allow sufficient time for training and be sure that they are competent in their work before the job begins. This will ensure that your process or service flows smoothly.
So, the proper planning team can make the transformation into growth very smoothly. The marketing and commercial departments can be regulated by the smooth flow of planning activity. To grow our future demand, we have to be concerned to improve and build the planning team properly.